I've been asked more times than I can count, how I have lost weight. The simple answer, plain old fashioned diet and exercise. Yes, it's a lot of hard work but now that I been at it for 16 months straight, it is now more of a lifestyle, a habit, my routine and it's easy.
The short story is:
I started at 159 pounds the day I went and bought my first pair of running shoes.
I was barely fitting into, I was squeezing into, a jr's size 13 and I had bought just days prior 2 pairs of size 14 (FOURTEEN!!!) ladies shorts. It was May 2010 and I was the biggest I had been in my entire life. All my life and into my teens I was the skinny girl not weighing more than 115 pounds. By May 2010 I was in the OBESITY range with a BMI of 30.
I started with the couch to 5 K program. My first 2 weeks I would 'run' outside in the evenings. With the C25K program, http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml, Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week and for week one it says to walk for 6 minutes and 'run' for 1 minute and repeat 4 times. By the 3rd lap, or the 2nd walk, I was TIRED. By the last 1 minute 'run' I was struggling. LAME. I could barely walk for 6 minutes and run for 1 minute.
By the 3rd week I was so motivated and ready that I was doing this 5-6 days per week and even multiple times per day. And by this week my husband was out purchasing a treadmill! Its hard making time to exercise with 2 small children and it being so hot living on a tropical island. I no longer wanted to use the children or heat as an excuse. I finally worked up to week 5 in the couch program then just changed it to fit my needs. I was now able to do a mile in 20-22 minutes.
Not running is just NOT an option for me. Unless I am sick, then I allow myself the time to recover.
It takes a lot of determination and motivation to stick with this. The first 30 pounds I shed abnormally fast. The next 15 pounds took a little longer but after a year of running daily I was down 40 pounds. By May of 2011 I ran my first 5k! Never did I think I would be able to do that, even though I was doing the couch to 5K!
(Its hard to see me but I am in the pink)
(Here I am smack in the middle in pink holding Caden facing the camera behind the guy in the white tshirt)
To date: I am 120 pounds. I can now run an entire mile in less than 10 minutes, about 9:40 actually. I lost almost all my boobs so we invested in a breast lift and implant.
Prior to surgery I got down to 115 pounds and I am now having a hard time with the last 5 pounds. But I will lose it once again.
So, 16 months later I lost 45 pounds and gained a breast lift/implant and am in much much better health with a BMI of 23, (although I would like to get down to a BMI of 20 eventually). Normal BMI for my body type is 18.5-24.5 so I can still manage to lose some more.
16 months later I went from this:
To this: (Picture taken yesterday!)
As far as dieting I have gotten the following questions:
1.HOW did you count calories 2. WHAT do you eat 3. how do you feed a a family?
Answers:
1. HOW did you count calories? When I first started my running I actually didn't count calories. I just eliminated as much fast intake as I could and make healthier choices. I also eat a lot of Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine's for lunch. Now today, I limit my fat intake and count my calories. A woman my size to maintain weight should be eating 2,000 calories per day. 5 days a week I try to limit my intake to 1,500 cals a day. I do this by using Myfitnesspal.com and I also have the fitness pal application on my iphone this way I can just scan whatever I eat. I don't count as hard on the weekend to allow myself to eat if we go out, but obviously I try to make healthier choices when we are out. Ex: choosing tuna over a burger. And at home it's all about healthier choices as well.
2. WHAT do you eat? You really need to experiment, do a lot of trial and error. But for MYSELF, I cut out fat, changed to non fat milk and cut out almost all dairy since a lot of it fat. I limit snacks and try not to eat them at all. I cut out butter all together, any types of oil. I do not cook with either one. I use a non stick cooking spray or a 0 calorie butter spray substitute. Just overall I make better choices. Lean meats, lots of chicken, lots of fish, lots of veggies. I do not eat pasta much anymore. I still do treat myself to my favorite snacks once in a while so I do not binge. Ice cream is allowed every now and then, as well as chips. Weight Watchers has a low calorie low fat chocolate chip ice cream that we indulge on when we get the cravings. You just have to learn how to make better choices and change the way you cook.
3. How do you feed a a family? This is actually much easier then you would think after you get the hang of making better choices and after learning how to cook. Again, we eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken and fish. Lots of fruits and veggies. If you need help with recipes I can help you! I experiment with new recipes several times a week and started a face book recipe place called Mom's Recipes. I use the crock pot a lot as well.
In my opinion, to lose weight and become healthier and more physically fit, you have to change your life. You don't just run and diet and everything magically be all better. You have to make a plan, not give up and stick to it no matter what. 16 months later and I, as well as my husband will NEVER go back to the way we were before. We improved our lives and our children see the changes and learn from it as well. They both see Mom and Dad run and exercise and they try to mimic that. That right there is a big WIN for us.
If you can think of any other questions for me please do not hesitate!



2 comments:
Darn! I was napping when you left the comment on my FB LOL!!!
I'm reading the workout routine you posted...BUT I'm wondering what "brisk" is to them? I mean...2.5 or 3.5 on the treadmill and what pase is considered "jogging"?! I feel like I could pass out after 20 minutes of walking at 2.5 LOL SOOOOO pitiful I know.
I love myfitnesspal!! It has helped me in my journey to a healthy lifestyle. I still have quite a ways to go, but I am down 46 pounds and I can now jog (a slow jog) for 20 minutes straight! So that is a huge improvement!! I also do 20 minutes on the elliptical each day too.
Weekends are my down fall, but I am working on that. Portion control is my hardest. Its so much easier during the week when I do count everything, measure everything. But on the weekends, when we are on the go, having get togethers and cookouts, its difficult. But I am learning, and I am trying!
You and the hubby both look great! Oh, and I am going to try and find your recipe blog on FB - we are always looking for some new healthy recipes!!
Post a Comment