This is for the questions I have gotten since my last post about my diet/exercise routine.
One question was regarding the couch to 5 k program.
I'm wondering what "brisk" is to them? I mean...2.5 or 3.5 on the treadmill and what pace is considered "jogging"?
I really don't know the answer to this. But, I THINK that the answer should be you need to figure out what works for YOU. When I started 16 months ago I started at 3.5 mph, a real slow jog. So, a brisk walk for me would be a 3 mph. In fact, when I do walks on the treadmill I'm usually at a 3 or 3.1 mph.
This might help you get an idea. Here is what I currently been doing.
Run 1 mile. I never do this on a 0 incline. Mostly I up it to just 1 incline. My time here can range anywhere between 09:38 and 09:55...depending on how I'm feeling and how many times the kids feel the need to stop me for whatever reason. (annoying!) My pace for the 1 mile is anywhere from 6 mph to 6.3 sometimes 6.4 mph.
My 2nd mile I then include some serious incline walking to try to get rid of my last 5 pounds of butt and thigh. I still have so much of this to spare. It also gives me 5 minute increments of being in the endurance/performance section so Im hoping over time this will improve my 1 mile run. Maybe I will be able to run it faster or a higher incline or even just make it easier over all. For the 2nd mile I walk on a 12 incline at 3-3.1 mph, then run a lap at 6 mph on 1 incline, and then again walk a lap on 12 incline and then run another lap.
I am by no means telling you this is what you should do. I am just telling you what has worked for ME.
Another common question seems to be that people dont know what or how to eat. I tried to explain what works for ME. You have to figure out what works for YOU. Here was my day yesterday.
Breakfast: 2 pancakes (both the size of the palm of my hand) and about a tbs of lite syrup. (Pancakes are VERY rare for me) Snack: Grapes. Lunch: I took the kids out for lunch on the beach. I had a veggie burger and diet coke and a few french fries (which I should not have had at all) The kids ate the fries. Snack: 1 1/2 caramel corn rice cakes. Dinner: I made 4 personal pizzas for each of us. Mine had a fat free hot dog on it and some Swanson canned chicken which is 98% fat free and only a little cheese on top and a few pineapple chunks. I had about 3/4 of the personal size pizza.
Dessert: This is rare but is needed as a treat every now and then. I shared a MC D's caramel apple sundae with the kids.
Now this morning for breakfast I had half of a wheat bagel. Half of the half had about a teaspoon of orange marmalade jam and the other half of the half had baby bell lite swiss spreadable cheese on it.
I have found that these wheat bagels are REALLY filling. I can barely eat a whole one anymore. Today for lunch I plan on a Lean Cusine meal of Lasagna. And I'm sure snack today will include grapes and the last of my caramel corn rice cakes. Not sure what dinner will be yet, but it will include ground turkey since that is what I got out of the freezer. Either Tacos or Hamburger Helper which I am not a big fan of but the family loves it.
2 other things I wanted to mention that might be of help to some of you was foods that help keep you fuller for longer and also sometimes I have trouble with my ribs being sore when running.
Foods that help keep me full longer definitely are the 100% whole wheat bagels. I have only half of one for breakfast around 6:30 am and it holds me over until lunch around 10:30 or 11 am. Also, sometimes I will eat 1 hard boiled egg and that will do it too. Eggs only have 70 calories and are packed full of protein so it keeps you full. Also, DRINK A LOT. And apples. Apples dont keep me full but they keep me content. Here is a good website that shows you some other things that can keep you feeling full:
http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2011/07/healthy-eating-for-weight-loss-8-foods-that-keep-you-full-and-4-that-dont#slide=1
I searched how much I should be drinking and a 120 pound woman should have 60 oz of water per day. I don't drink water, but I do drink the crystal light type drinks and I make sure I drink enough. I have to remind myself and force myself but it makes a big difference in how easily I can run the next day and keeps me fuller throughout the day.
And now for the rib pain. I don't get it every time and not too often, but since surgery this is the first time I been back to pushing for TWO miles per day and so my ribs on the right side get sore. FOR MYSELF I find that if I just push through the pain for a few minutes it either goes away or gets much more dull and then I forget about it. I also found that if I take one hand and while I'm running just push on and put pressure on it, its much more bearable. Yesterday after running I googled this issue and found some ways to avoid this. 1. Dont eat at least 2 hours before running. My mistake. I eat about an hour before. 2.Drink plenty of water...my reason for forcing the 60 oz during the day prior. 3. The internet says to slow down if you get rib pain. FOR MYSELF, I find that it just makes it worse..I just push through it and it goes away. 4. The internet says also to breathe deeper which I can say that helps. When I hurt I concentrate really hard on my breathing and it makes a world of difference. 4. It also says to apply pressure...exactly what I learned to do myself! It relieves pressure in the diaphragm allowing ligament to relax.
Oh! And, something I should mention. Let the scale become your friend. Really. Weigh yourself every single day for a few months to learn what works and doesn't work for your body. It makes a world of a difference. For me it helps a lot when I know my cycle is about to start and I feel so fat and bloated. I get on the scale and see a slight gain and know that it isn't me, its my cycle and I will lose it in a few days. Women can gain up to 10 pounds from their cycle. This past month I only gained 1 pound. Just the week prior I was mad because I wasn't losing weight. I am STUCK at 120 and cannot get below. And I came to realize my cycle was why. I was probably losing weight but then gaining from my cycle about to start so I was coming out even on the scale. Makes a BIG difference to weigh in every single day and learn what your body does.
So, please remember I am not a doctor. And I'm telling you to do what I do. I am simply telling you what I have found over the last 16 months that has worked for me. And obviously it has. Yes, I used to be a fitness specialist years ago when we were stationed in Aviano... (That was a fun job) But I no longer am. So figure out what works for YOU. And let me know if you have ANY more questions. I love helping.
And knowing that I give you motivation helps give me motivation. I now know TWO people that have went out and purchased treadmills since I been posting about this!!
And now my child is being REALLY quiet which means he is probably into something and that is the reason why I was able to sit down and type up this long post on just one sitting.
No comments:
Post a Comment