Monday, 17 October 2011

Guam Micronesia Island Fair

It's 82 degrees at 9 am October 18th. I can not wait to move and escape this tropical weather for good. I know, I know. I WILL miss it at some point. Probably fairly soon after we leave when I want to go to the beach and cant. But for now...seeing everyone's fall pictures, talking about how cool it is outside, and going to pumpkin patches and hayrides.....Im jealous. But, this shall only last another 3.5 months and we will be joining the homeland!!

Anyways, on Saturday we checked out the Guam Island Fair. <-- click here for the website.


The Guam Micronesia Island Fair is the annual signature cultural event on Guam that showcases and celebrates the vibrant cultures of Micronesia. The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Republic of Belau, The Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Nauru, Kiribati and Guam will be represented at the Fair by official delegations endowed with the responsibility and privilege of sharing their cultures.


The theme of the Guam Micronesia Island Fair is Celebrating the Dance and Song of Micronesia.  This year, artists, entrepreneurs and visitors representing each of the island nations of Micronesia will come together to share their unique customs and traditions. Local residents and tourists alike will be invited to enjoy authentic representations of the sights, sounds, flavors and perspectives of islanders whose histories, both shared and individual, have shaped a singular experience from a diverse spectrum.


This is the first year (and last year!) that we attended. It was nice. I think I got some really neat pictures.
And yes, of course Im going to torture you all with them!



Kayla petting a big lizard.

A guy doing some wood work.

Kayla talking to me and Caden watching the guy holding the big lizard, and to the right bottom in the black cage is a big coconut crab.  It is the largest land-living arthropod in the world, and is probably at the upper size limit of terrestrial animals with exoskeletons in today's atmosphere at a weight of up to 4.1 kg (9.0 lb). It is found on islands across the Indian Ocean and parts of the Pacific Ocean as far east as the Gambier IslandsSexual maturity is reached after about 5 years, and the total lifespan may be over 60 years. Adult coconut crabs feed on fruits, nuts, seeds, and the pith of fallen trees. The species is popularly associated with the coconut, and has been widely reported to climb trees to pick coconuts, which it then opens to eat the flesh. While coconut crabs can climb trees, and can eventually open a coconut collectively, coconuts are not a significant part of their diet. Coconut crabs are hunted wherever they come into contact with humans, and are subject to legal protection in some areas. 


Whiskey! The guy at the table told me I need a drink because I had two little ones. Bahahaha!
Dad tried a 21 year old whiskey!

Local island fiesta plate- the kids' and mine all time favorite! You can get these at just about any place on island. Its usually about $7 per plate and you a get a ton of food. You always get a red rice and a type of salad with it, usually a cold macaroni salad or cabbage salad, along with bbq chicken and veggies. You can read more about fiesta plates here. 




Cutting open a coconut.

Guam's Boonie Peppers.
GUAM BOONIES - very hot; Pequin/Piquin Type; 1 to 1.25 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; thin flesh; matures from medium green to orange to red; upright pods; green leaves; 36 to 42 inches tall; Very Late Season; Uses: Drying; from Guam; C.chinense.

Chamorro dancers



The kids watching the dancers

Japanese guy walked by us and said how cute our kids were. We got this alot while we were there.




1 comment:

Mark said...

Great photos! I'm glad that you tortured me with them.
m.

When Pooh Bear got his wings

2 years ago today, Pooh Bear got hurt. I have avoided blogging the past couple weeks because I knew this post was coming. But I n...